The Etudes team is pleased to announce the release of Etudes Gradebook 1.0!
The new gradebook will be the default in all Summer and Fall 2015 course sites.
For a brief overview of Etudes Gradebook 1.0, please see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PavwD01dVLc
Feature highlights include the following, prioritized based on input received by Etudes users:
- Ability to grade by weighted categories (%) and create custom categories (i.e. essays, labs, etc.). Ability to adjust the weights at any point in the term.
- Ability to align assessments to weighted categories and elect to distribute weights by points or equally.
- Ability to define the labels of your categories (i.e. change “Assignments” to “Essays”) and organize them in a custom order. Your default order is what students will see in their view of the gradebook.
- Ability to benefit from categories, without touching at all any of the previously-mentioned features!
- Drop any number of low scores from any category (i.e. quizzes, assignments, etc.). Includes the ability to un-drop low scores from any category at any point.
- Ability to boost overall grades by a certain point value or a percentage. Includes the ability to remove the grade booster.
- Better handling of extra credit. You can now move assessments to the extra credit category in the gradebook, and Etudes will include the extra points (or weight) for the extra credit submissions only to students who did them.
- Complete grade summary for each student. Individual student summary lists all assessments by category, and overall grade and points earned by each student. (exportable to CSV)
- Ease of viewing class grades – by single student or by category.
- Ability to see the point value of each assessment, as well as open and due dates from the gradebook.
- Show grades by section – for overall grades, assignment grades, or all assessment grades.
- Export grades by section – for an assessment, a specific student, all assessment grades or for overall grades.
- Student view of gradebook, without having to log on as a student.
- Ability to show overall points-to-date, with no letter attached to it (optionally).
- Ability to see dropped or blocked students’ grades in the gradebook.
Many thanks to Murthy Tanniru and Rashmi Maheshwari for their extraordinary work in developing the Etudes gradebook. It’s been a team effort and hard work for 10-12 months. But we couldn’t have done it without your involvement in the design. Understanding clearly what you need and want helps us deliver a better product.
Many thanks go to the following 62 Etudes instructors who contributed input in the user requirements gathering process:
- Aaron Garner, San Joaquin Delta College
- Abigail Groo, Mendocino College
- Alice Taylor, West Los Angeles College
- Allison Lenkeit Meezan, Foothill College
- Barbara Durham, Hartnell College
- Bob Rennicks, San Joaquin Delta College
- Carolyn Brown, Foothill College
- Carolyn Holcroft, Foothill College
- Christina Heisser, Los Angeles City College
- Cyrus Helf, West Los Angeles College
- Danielle Stallings, Los Angeles City College
- Deborah Pansius, San Joaquin Delta College
- Douglas Saxon, Los Angeles Mission College
- Dyuti Sengupta, Foothill College
- Elizabeth Barkley, Foothill College
- Erika Szostak, West Los Angeles College
- Gail Amos, Los Angeles Harbor College
- Gina Ladinsky, Los Angeles Mission College
- Hilary Gomes, Foothill College
- James Hicks, Los Angeles Southwest College
- Joan Thomas-Spiegel, Los Angeles Harbor College
- Joe Georges, El Camino College
- Joseph Pak, Los Angeles City College
- Joyce Schenk, El Camino College
- Karl Peter, Etudes, Inc. / Foothill College
- Kathryn Maurer, Foothill College
- Kay Thornton, Foothill College
- Laura Branagan, Foothill College
- Lisa Beppu, East Los Angeles College
- Lisa Cain, West Los Angeles College
- Lynn C. Vogel-Zuiderweg, East Los Angeles College
- Lynn Hawley, San Joaquin Delta College
- Martin Melia, West Los Angeles College
- Mel Strom, Los Angeles City College
- Michael Kasnetsis, East Los Angeles College
- Michael Loceff, Foothill College
- Michelle Oja, Taft College
- Mike Hiscocks, Los Angeles Harbor College
- Nancy Wheat, Hartnell College
- Nicholas Smith, West Los Angeles College
- Pam McKee, Foothill College
- Pamela Wiese, Hartnell College
- Parvaneh Mohammadian, Los Angeles Mission College
- Parviz Entekhabi, Hartnell College
- Paul Greenberg, Los Angeles Harbor College
- Phil Reedy, San Joaquin Delta College
- Pimol Moth, Hartnell College
- Regis Smith, East Los Angeles College
- Riba Taylor, Mendocino College
- Roger Waller, San Joaquin Delta College
- Roy Havenhill, Los Angeles Valley College
- Sara Blake, El Camino College
- Sarah Williams, Foothill College
- Saul Panski, El Camino Compton Center
- Song Su, East Los Angeles College
- Stacey Wexler, Los Angeles City College
- Susan Shaw, Los Angeles Mission College
- Suzanne Floyd, West Los Angeles College
- Valerie Fong, Foothill College
- Wendy DuFour, Los Angeles Valley College
- William Ziegenhorn, Foothill College
- Zach Cembellin, Foothill College
We will be releasing updates to the Etudes gradebook regularly over the coming months and next year, implementing the rest of the desired features, and applying refinements as needed, as you begin using it.
Pending features that are coming over the next few months and next year, include (but are not limited to):
- Ability to private message a student from the gradebook.
- Ability to enter or adjust grades from the gradebook.
- Ability to access a submission from the gradebook.
- Ability to include notes by each student.
- Grading rubrics.
- Peer reviews.
- Student learning outcomes reporting.
- Turnitin integration with gradebook.
You will find our tutorials (still a work in-progress) under the “New Gradebook” section of our Help pages: http://etudes.org/help/instructors/
If you have any questions about how to use a feature of the new gradebook or experience any difficulties, please reach out to the Etudes team in the Users Group faculty support forums.