Three grading options are now available in Discussions.
Grade by Forum
This option is ideal for instructors who would like to assign one score and one set of comments for all of a student’s contributions (topics and replies) under one forum. This option gives instructors access to a single grading screen per student for the forum grade and evaluative comments. The title of the forum (one item) becomes the gradebook (GB) entry, if scores are sent to the GB.
To enable grade by forum, follow these steps:
- Go to Manage. This will take you to the Manage Forums screen.
- Click on the Title of the forum that you want to make gradable. This will open it in “edit” view so that you can set your preferences.
- Choose “By Forum” under Grading (bottom of edit forum page).
- Add points.
- Click on Save.
Grade by Topic
This option allows instructors to assign a score to each topic, making it a unique gradebook (GB) entry. The title of the topic will be the GB entry, if you choose to send the topic to the gradebook. This option is ideal for instructors who assign and grade a weekly discussion topic, and like to reward students specific points per topic.
To enable grade by Topic, follow this two-step process:
- Go to Manage. This will take you to the Manage Forums screen. Click on the Title of the forum whose topics you want to make gradable. Scroll down and choose “By Topic” under Grading. Click on Save to save your changes.
- Then, find your topic in your discussion page, click on Edit, and enable grading at the bottom.
- Add points.
Grade by Category
This option is ideal for instructors who would like to assign one score and one set of comments for all of a student’s contributions (topics and replies) for ALL the forums that are UNDER one Category. This option gives instructors access to a single grading screen per student for all their contributions across all the forums and topics in the category. In fact, under each student’s name, instructors can see all their contributions in one screen. Further, from the grading page of the category, instructors can see the total count (all the contributions of a student across the forums in the category).
The title of the category (one item) becomes the gradebook entry, if scores are sent to the GB.
To enable grade by Category, follow the below steps:
- Go to Manage.
- Click on Manage Categories.
- Click on the Title of the Category that you want to made gradable.
- Add points, check the options you want, and click on Save to save your changes.
Note that you can always check ‘send to gradebook’ later.
Grading by category is the right choice if you assign students to private groups, where everyone must respond to the same discussion topic or theme, but within their own groups.
Another use case is if you give one grade for participation – across all topics and forums in one category.
Option to provide feedback but no scores
If you do not assign scores to students for discussions, you may consider enabling grading of categories, forums or topics to be able to give students private feedback about their forum / topic contributions.
By enabling grading, you will have access to statistics on the number of posts per student, by topic or forum (depending on your choice). And, you will be able to view a student’s collective posts in one page.
- To enable grading, without assigning scores to students, set the point value of the forum or topic to zero (0).
- A zero point value means that the topic or forum will not be counted toward the grade, and will not be sent to the gradebook. Students will see your comments, but they will not see a zero (or other) point value.
If you change your mind and you want to assign points for a forum or topic, revise the forum or topic and change to zero to points.