Introduction to Canvas for Etudes Users
- Next class: April 10 – April 28, 2017
- Register Now!
Registration will close on Thursday, April 6, 5:00pm or as soon as it is filled.
This course is designed to make your transition from Etudes to Canvas as easy and painless as possible. The goal of the training is to make you competent and comfortable in using the Canvas system to offer your online courses.
This is a three week, self-paced, training session with 9 Modules. The modules are grouped into 3 Units. If you schedule yourself to do one Unit per week, you will find this a fairly relaxed pace. You may move along at your own pace. If you feel really comfortable and can commit a lot of time, you could even finish the course in a couple of days. The lead trainer will be available for the entire three weeks to offer guidance and assistance.
Unit 1 Getting Started in Your Canvas Training
- Module 1: Introduction to this training course and Canvas
- Module 2: Setting up your class to make it your own
- Module 3: Putting some content into your class
Unit 2 Communicating and Assessing Your Students
- Module 4: Creating Announcements and sending messages
- Module 5: Creating and Evaluating Discussions
- Module 6: Creating Assignments
Unit 3 Setting Up Your Expectations for Quality Evaluations
- Module 7: Creating Quizzes
- Module 8: Designing Rubrics
- Module 9: Developing Your Syllabus and Calendar
View this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqu6Sdd7hcI
In order to pass this class you will be asked to complete a variety of tasks in your own class site using the Canvas tools. Each task is worth points. Between these tasks, discussions, quizzes, and a final survey, you can earn up to 500 points.
To pass the training course, you need to:
- Earn 400 points which is a 80%. You don’t have to be perfect!
- Turn in every assignment. We want you to experience all the tools and allow us to give you feedback on what you can do with Canvas.
About The Instructor
Jim Marteney is an Etudes Certified Instructor and has been teaching online for over 10 years. He is an advanced user and trainer of both Etudes and Canvas Learning Management systems, with deep experience in leading training and pedagogy courses. He will help you on your journey to take what you know about Etudes and use it to learn Canvas.
After teaching at Los Angeles Valley College for over thirty-five years, Jim is now Professor Emeritus of Communication Studies. For his last 6 years, Jim was the college’s Distance Learning Trainer where he had the opportunity to help design instructor’s classes and improve their online teaching skills.
Jim understands the challenge of learning a new online teaching system and looks forward to working with you as you develop you online courses using the Canvas system.
Requests for Refunds
Requests to drop a class and receive a refund must be received by mail or fax by Tuesday, 5:00PM (Pacific Time), a week PRIOR to the start of the course. Complete Refund Request Form.
If you have any questions about this training class, contact us.